Redirection

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Science Proves What We Know

Men don´t like doing housework.

According to the latest research done in this egalitarian paradise, Sweden, as married men take on the traditional feminine chores, they grow dissatisfied and tend to view it as unfair. Even though in all those `egalitarian` countries women report on average that they are still doing about 75% of all the housework. According to men, though, their share is 31% . As you see, the numbers don´t add up and both sexes feel themselves put upon.

I´m glad to report that my country didn´t make it to the list of the top feminist countries where men report doing their 50%:) Of course, USA, UK, Australia, Sweden and strangely enough, Poland and Mexico appear to be the countries with the most feminised men. The more egalitarian the country is, the more dissatisfaction the men show with the division of domestic chores and the more they complain about unfairness. Men in more traditional countries, like Japan, don´t complain that much if they have to help around the house. According to a feminist researcher, the reason for this is that Japanese men are less aware that housework exists.

Personally I believe that in Western countries people tend to be much more obsessed with fairness and equality. Of course, it could also be that men feel themselves more emasculated by the society in general, hence they protest.

Women in egalitarian countries aren´t happy, either. They are less satisfied with their family life, which is logical, since they have to juggle their traditional responsibilities with earning a living and nagging their husbands into doing their fair share of housework. So here you have it, straight out of the mouth of the feminist itself: egalitarian family life is lousy, leaves both men and women dissatisfied (and will eventually bring you to the divorce court), but it´s apparently a small price to pay for the building of an utopia.

The god of gender equality is a jealous one. 
 men are more likely to be unsatisfied with their share of household duties as they report taking on a greater share of household chores,

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2015-02-men-unsatisfied-extra-chores-gender.html#jCp
married men are more likely to be unsatisfied with their share of household duties as they report taking on a greater share of household chores,

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2015-02-men-unsatisfied-extra-chores-gender.html#jCp
married men are more likely to be unsatisfied with their share of household duties as they report taking on a greater share of household chores,

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2015-02-men-unsatisfied-extra-chores-gender.html#jCp
married men are more likely to be unsatisfied with their share of household duties as they report taking on a greater share of household chores,

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2015-02-men-unsatisfied-extra-chores-gender.html#jCp

16 comments:

  1. So ironic - both work to maintain their home which sits empty all day. I know there are women who have to work which makes life more difficult. In those cases, both have more work to do at home. This is certainly not ideal.
    Men and women are not the same; though we pretend to be. There used to be jobs that women never held - firefighters, soldiers in the army, etc. These jobs take a lot of strength. In many fire departments here, the firefighters are on 24 hour shifts. They sleep at the firehall. If I were a firefighter, would I want to spend all that time with mostly men?
    The divorce rate is probably at 50% of marriages. With all this equality that women wanted, marriages are failing at an alarming rate. I'm afraid that the children are the fallout. They will suffer from all this fake equality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way I see it, feminism was marketed to women by "the lords of lies" for exactly this very reason - the destruction of the family. In my country it has been long proven by research that the more hours the wife works, the more divorce happens, and that's exactly the objective of those behind it. Traditional family is built on a hierarchical basis and hence is an obstacle on the way to egalitarian utopia where everybody is the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so interesting! My husband and I have a traditional marriage. I stay home and he works. Having only been married for a few years, I had noticed with a bit of frustration that he never helps me with the housework. So one day, I decided to ask him. He wasn't too happy with my request, and rightly so. Thankfully, I realized how wrong it was of me to place part of my burden on his shoulders. After all, he doesn't ask me to share his burden! So, this artlce just reinforced what I now know to be true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm guessing this study will never see the light of the daily news. Thank again, Sanne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ladies, you are welcome!

    About housework, every time I used to complain my husband would ask me if I'd rather go to work and he stay home and do it. I always answered, no, thanks:) He was kidding, of course. Dutch men and housework don't belong together:)

    Anyway, after spending about a week in bed I'm positively thrilled I can do normal housekeeping again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Housewife from FinlandMarch 4, 2015 at 4:15 AM

    My husband seems to like to help me with housework. Sometimes voluntarily, sometimes I ask for help if I am very tired. I don't know how it would be if I was completely healthy.

    He also likes cooking, especially when we are at our cottage. I really enjoy it.

    But of course it is totally different to do something to help your wife because you want to, or to do something because you have to/she is nagging at you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's the point:) That probably explains why Japanese men don't complain; if they help, they are doing it out of their own free will, not because they feel obliged to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, do you remember the joke about iNag Reminder Service?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't remember! :-D But it was a good joke. It was back when iPhones began to appear... it was probably something like a man who said he doesn't need an iPhone because he bought an iRon to his wife and now he has an iNag Reminder Service. Or something like that.
    Oh well...

    ReplyDelete
  10. So everyone agrees that housework is mind-numbing and soul-killing. Why do you think being born female makes us uniquely suited to doing crap?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Karen, I assume you really want to know and you are not just throwing out an angry question. Here is my opinion shortly:

    All work is mind-numbing and soul-killing if that is your attitude. Comparing and competing are sour roots. And shared responsibilities are no one's responlities. That's why specific 'fields' in dynamics of marriage works best.

    Speaking in general, because females are those who give birth and who are equipped with baby feeding abilities, they are naturally those to protect and sustain life.

    I can't understand why women neglect their natural being, the privilegde of bringing a new human into adulthood. This 'job' is more important and responsible than anything else. He will learn what you teach him. You have impact to generations to come, you will be remembered and honoured if you do your job well (if you are after remembering and honour, there's no need to search it further than that)

    I was raised on a farm. I learnt everything that needs to be known to be a farmer's wife. That was all I wanted. But my parents, because of they could'nt choose, they thought that education was the key to the future. So I studied some which I hated. I tried to be modern which I hated. I finally worked on a 'good job', which I hated. Finally I made the decision and I came where I belong and I've never been happier. No need to pretender I'm a man,

    ReplyDelete
  12. Miriam, I wouldn't bother with Karen if I were you, she has a history of posting inflammatory comments on this blog, then disappearing for half a year.

    It was a beautiful reply, though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Karen, dear, trolling the internet isn't a way to go through life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I consider the home front is such a challenging business and after children appear things get really serious. I can't understand how mothers of 2 young children under 6 years can go out to work. Nursery costs are pretty high for 2 children. I am trying to imagine life with 2 children and me working outside the home: who is doing the washing up, laundry, food, shopping, learning with children, bringing and taking from nursery? Husbands usually help their wives but things have gone too far nowadays. What if children get ill? What employer gives you leaves for sick children more than once or twice a year? little ones get ill very often. Men cannot replace women in children's matters and housekeeping, but they can give a helping hand if asked, not nagged.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Housewife from FinlandMarch 5, 2015 at 5:19 AM

    Miriams answer to Karen was wonderful.

    Personally I think that everybody hates housework if you have to do it after 8 hours work. Because then you are tired etc. But when you are full time housewife it is different. I hated housework when I was still working full time. Nowadays everything is ok because I am my own boss; I have my own schedules and if I just want to sit on computer all day today and work harder tomorrow it's fine. Maybe most of the things I do are relatively boring but believe me, so was accounting.

    And it is easier to be present and mindful while doing your domestic tasks than working in an office.

    ReplyDelete